POSTPARTUM AYURVEDIC DOULA CARE
Home visits within Dallas (and 15-20 miles of OmBalance home office). Outside of miles, a travel fee is added.
AyurCare Postpartum – The First 42 Days
What is included in my Postpartum AyurCare service?
Your AyurCare doula comes to your home during this sacred period of 6 weeks Monday thru Friday, excluding weekends when possible. From the time you are home and ready to receive care. We will discuss best time to begin. The Four Pillars of AyurCare are Nutrition, Self-Care, Mindfulness Practices & Rest. All ingredients, herbs, oils and wrap / bind materials are included.
What does AyurCare look like on a daily basis?
During pregnancy, we will talk about your care and define a protocol that will work best for you and your family. It is wonderful to have help at the house. Your PP AyurCare Doula will help navigate those family & friends available to help during these weeks of recovery.
- Arrive between 9-10am. Leave by 1-2pm. The time is spent cooking and caring for mother & baby. Approximately 4 hours each visit / 3-5 visits each week.
- Prepare 2 meals & snacks for mother to include tea, juice or a smoothy. All menu ingredients are included. Menu is designed to start simple and build as agni (digestive fire) allows.
- Abhyanga with creative healing to decongest the body, belly / hip wrap, abhyanga for baby. Table provided when available.
- After treatment bath tea (decoction).
- Scar support.
- Breastfeeding & infant care education & support within doula’s scope of practice.
- Birth story / Daily emotional support.
- Gentle yoga, meditation, yoga nidra time on the mat. Or a simple walk.
- General support and my resources are you resources!
YOU HAVE OPTIONS
OPTION ONE : The Four Pillars of AyurCare are Nutrition, Self-Care, Mindfulness Practice, Rest & full AyurCare treatment.
OPTION TWO : Just stick to the treatments. Below describes more about the options – First 7 Days – 6 Weeks. You’ll see some past client protocols.
First 7 Days – 6 Weeks
This is a suggestion of treatments… Seven days (to begin soon after delivery) – Start weekly segments once you are home from birth facility. Each home visit includes: abhyanga with creative healing to decongest the body for mama, belly wrap for mama, abhyanga for bebe AND simple guidelines and routines for diet, rest and activity tailored to you (if wanted) specifically for this time.
Tradition calls for 6 Weeks…
First week home OR as soon as you are ready, we meet for as many consecutive days as possible. Most often that means 4 – 7 visits for our first week together.
Following five weeks we meet 2-4 times a week until we complete 6 weeks together. For best results, you’ll want to wrap each day. I’m willing to teach someone in the house to do this on the days I’m not there. Of course, you can have as many visits as you want and schedule permits.
I allow 1 1/2 hours in my schedule to be at your home.
For section deliveries, it is best to wait 10 days to 2 weeks or till stitches and scar are feeling good.
EVEN though tradition calls for 6 weeks, feel free to create your own protocol. A few example of past clients are listed below.
Inquire for pricing please
- Rita – 3 times a week for 3 weeks
- Kim – 7 consecutive days once home from hospital, then 3 times a week for 5 weeks
- Dhanya – 7 consecutive days once home from hospital
- Toni – once a week for 7 weeks
- OR create your own combo
2019 Client Protocols :
- #1 – 4-5 times for 3 weeks, 2-3 for 3 weeks, 2 for 3 weeks, now once a week when we are both in town. This amazing treatment continues to nourish the body, mind and spirit!
- #2 – 4-5 times for 2 weeks, 2-3 for 4 weeks, once for a few weeks, now we see each other for yoga & treatments 2-4 times a month.
- #3 – 3 times for 3 weeks, then group yoga classes 3 weeks.
- #4 – 5 consecutive days only.
- #5 – 3 times a week for 2 weeks, 2 times a week for 2 weeks, then one last treatment to finish up.
A traditional ceremony cleansing and caring for mother once home from the hospital: begins with setting of intentions and prayer. Then the following steps below are completed with care. I would ask that someone come to assist in the service – a mother, sister, best friend. Additionally, the baby is not in the room – maybe father is caring for baby. I will bring along an additional therapist to assist me and/or a postpartum doula to care for baby for an additional fee. In addition to the treatment, I’ll leave 10 days of herbs for a milk tea to drink after morning and evening meals.
- Oiling the hair & body with medicated oils (dhanvantharam and bala)
- Washing the hair with an organic shampoo
- Turmeric paste for face and body
- Medicated rinse of body (dashamula decoction)
- Wash body with green gram paste and rinse
- Fumigate the room, body and hair (neem, tumeric or sandlewood)
- Medicated tea (hibiscus maybe)
- Bind the belly and rest
- 10 days worth of choorna for milk drink (lactation)
- A couple of recipes for Breast-Feeding
Vettu Vellum Follow up –
Abdominal & Breast
I’ll come again to check in with mother and baby, offer an abdominal & breast treatment (including shoulders and low back if needed) and leave 10 more days of choorna & herbal tea.
– abhyanga using medicated oil for mother
– abhyanga using sesame or coconut oil for baby
OTHER OFFERINGS ~
Wrap / Binding for Mama
Using olive oil as a carrier oil infused with a blend of essential oils to promote postpartum healing & provide lactation support for a belly / breast massage. The addition of creative healing is used to move congestion out of the body. A 100% cotton unbleached muslin fabric is used to wrap the torso followed by an abdominal binder to hold mama tight.
Binding is beneficial to help the body to move the excess air out, help the abdominal organs to settle back into place, encourage the core muscles to engage, create help for having good posture which aids in promoting lactation and ease of breastfeeding.
In addition to the work given to mama, your sweet little person receives and abhyanga as well!
Have someone special around to learn a few of the moves and how to help you with repeating the binding each day – for as many days as you wish. I will leave the wrap / binding materials and oil for both you and bebe.